How Do Home Warranties Work?
1. If an appliance breaks down or a home system stops working, the first step is to call the home warranty company.
2. Typically then your home warranty company will call a service provider it has an arrangement with.
3. The service provider calls you directly to make an appointment.
4. The service provider fixes the problem for you when possible. If it can’t be repaired for some reason, then depending on your contract coverage, your home warranty company should pay to replace and install a new item.
5. You will pay a deductible fee (usually less than $100).
What can cause denial of a Home Warranty claim?
• Improper maintenance
• Code violations
• Unusual wear and tear
• Improper installation
General Home Warranty coverage includes
• Air conditioning
• Furnace/heating systems
• Water heaters
• Garbage disposals
• Inside plumbing stoppages
• Ceiling fans
• Electrical systems
• Range and oven
• Telephone wiring
Remember, it’s your responsibility to read through and understand your home warranty before you agree to the terms. Be sure to clear up anything you don’t understand with your attorney before you sign it. Contact me if you have any questions about home warranties or any other real estate issues!