Whether you’re home, out working, shopping or on vacation, it’s so important to keep your home safe from unwanted intruders. Especially when your home is for sale - it can attract more attention from the public, so it’s especially important to keep your home safe once you list it for sale.
Here are some things that you can do to protect your home
Believe it or not most burglars get into homes through an unlocked door or window. Remember to:
• Always, always, always lock All of your doors and windows.
• Install dead bolts on your doors.
• Never leave keys in “hiding places” outside the home.
• Always keep your garage door closed and locked.
• If you can, buy a solid wood or metal door with high quality door frames.
• When you’re not home, give the impression that someone is there. Put lights on timers and have a neighbor or family member pick up your mail.
• Have bright lights outside around doors and windows to discourage break ins.
• Secure window air conditioners to prevent them from getting yanked out or pushed in.
• If you park your car on the driveway, don’t leave your garage door opener in plain site. Treat it the way you’d treat the key to your home. Burglars like to break into cars and use garage door openers to gain entry.
• If your home is listed for sale, keep the lockbox out of plain site view!
• Plant bushes under your windows to discourage prowlers; and keep them trimmed. (Tip: this is also a good idea for curb appeal when selling your home)
Protect yourself in your car also
• Always park in well lit places.
• Don't leave your keys in the ignition when you step out of the car, take them with you.
• Keep your car doors and windows locked when driving.
• Leave at lease a car length between you and the car in front of you so you can easily drive away in the event that the car behind you tries to trap you.
• Never keep valuables in your car.